Our distinctive beliefs as outlined below are not meant to stand as a requirement for people who desire to worship with us. This doctrinal statement is for the benefit of relational alignment, for those looking for “like-mindedness.” Brazos Covenant Ministries adheres to the old axiom – “In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, and in all things, charity.” In this day the Church is being challenged to stay focused on the knowledge of the Lord and His will for His People in this critical hour. Distractions and contentions in areas such as eschatology are in abundance and threaten to divide God’s people and distract them from God’s greater purposes.
Paul warns us of the type of man who “is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions.” (1 Timothy 6:4) May God’s People hear the call of the Lord to raise up His Church as “one new man” that walks in the mature fullness of Christ, united in love.
- Our Heavenly Father is the Creator of the universe, the world, and everything in it.
- Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God, the Word of God made flesh and was born of a virgin, crucified for the sins of the world, and raised from death to reign at the right hand of the Father.
- Salvation is found in Jesus Christ alone and in no other name, religion, philosophy, or ideology.
- Salvation comes by the grace of God and not by our own works or righteousness.
- The Bible is the perfect Word of God.
- The ministry, gifts, and power of the Holy Spirit continue today.
- Since Jesus is the Living Word, He continues to speak and give revelation to His Church to this day. He is the Good Shepherd and his sheep hear His voice.
- While the Lord continues to guide His people beyond the literal foundation of the written word of God, He does so in perfect harmony with the written word, the Bible.
- The fullness of Christ is seen in the Church through a “5-Fold” team approach in which Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, and Evangelists govern the Body of Christ.
- The Lord has called and gifted both men and women in the Church to minister and lead governmentally.
- Relationships in the Body of Christ are seen in the light and context of God’s covenant nature. Therefore, God’s people ought to be aligned with one another in love and transparency and committed to one another in areas of healing and forgiveness.
- God has called Brazos Covenant Ministries to be a “Kingdom-Center” with a purpose towards the transformation of our region. The ministries of BCM tend to reflect this purpose more than the ministries of a traditional local congregation.
Belief Statement on Marriage and Sexuality
- Marriage is defined by Holy Scripture and sanctioned by God as that which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated by Scripture. We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to only occur between a man and a woman who are married to each other. We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
- We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of the church as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the church members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by the church in any capacity or who serve as volunteers, should abide by and agree to this Statement of Marriage and Sexuality and conduct themselves accordingly.
- Any ministry aligned with this church shall also be governed by this belief.
- We also believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ.
- We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love kindness, respect and dignity. Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with scripture nor the doctrines of the church.
Belief Statement on Life:
- We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God Human life at all stages – including pre-born and end of life – should be valued and respected. (Psalm 139)